[Coral-List] scotch brite sediment traps

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Mon Jul 11 10:05:34 EDT 2011

Scotch Brite (and less expensive versions of air filters, "horse hair"
etc) have been used many times to enhance settlement of various larvae
(such as lobsters when at the surface of the sea), and will usually
colonize with many inverts and other marine life that would produce a
lot of detritus) and many other biologically produced sediments (to
numerous to mention here in detail)...therefore I would think that the
Scotch Brite method would be flawed, unless the sampling period was
very very short to minimize any biological components.

I have seen more commonly various mesh sized net bags placed along the
seafloor at various distances from the bottom.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court