[Coral-List] Fwd: Regarding the registration fee for 12th ICRS

Alan.e.strong alan.e.strong at noaa.gov
Sat Jul 16 19:26:40 EDT 2011

The Fall 2011 AGU is close to half what is being advertised for ICRS
2012....and students half of that...
Al

On 7/16/2011 2:57 PM, Jorge H. Pinzón C. wrote:
>> Dear Colleagues
>>
>> Concern with the cost of the 12 ICRS and the comments some of you made about comparisons with other meetings, I decided to spend my morning searching for scientific meetings and their registrations fees. To my surprise the cost of 12 meetings I find is similar to that of the 11ICRS. As you can see in the linked file (http://docs.google.com/demo/edit?id=scAAZeJGvRp5N46zklUKTmV-A&hl=en&dt=spreadsheet#spreadsheet), only the EMBO meeting in Vienna comes close to the 12ICRS. I did not include what the meetings offered with the fee (i.e. meals, receptions) but still the fees are not THAT high. Some may argue these meeting are mostly in the US, however past/future meetings of these societies have also taken place in international locations.
>> It would be nice to heard from the organizing committee the reasons for the HIGH fees and whether or not this was considered when selecting the
> venue location.
>
>> Jorge
>>

>> On Jul 16, 2011, at 3:53 AM, k.jaya kumar wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I share the concern for the increased registration charges and accept the views
>>> of the Sarah Frias-Torres regarding the early bird registration. it would be
>>> tough time for reef researchers like us to participate 12th ICRS at Cairns. We
>>> felt littel bit comfortable with the registration fees and other arrangements
>>> during 11th ICRS at Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
>>>

>>> Dr. K. JayakumarAssistant Professor

****<><  *******<><  *******<><  *******<><  *******
Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Consultant
Strong Research, Inc.&  IMSG
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

E/RA31, SSMC1, Room 5311      WWB, Room 601-8
1335 East West Hwy            5200 Auth Rd
Silver Spring, MD 20910-3226  Camp Springs, MD
301-713-2857 x108             301-763-8102
            Fax: 301-713-3136
Cell: 410-490-6602