[Coral-List] ICRS Registration Fees

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri Jul 22 09:57:50 EDT 2011

I would like to acknowledge that when I said someone would be "making
a fortune out of this" I was specifically referring to IF they raised
the level of sponsorship they were asking for [And I believe the
sponsorship goals were completely unreasonable and unobtainable so no,
I don't actually believe anyone will make any money from this]...and
if somebody really had expectations they were going to get that kind
of sponsorships that might explain why they planned a $3,000,000
conference]

I am also NOT blaming the organizers....I am very sure they are
probably all very good, well intended people and most likely
scientists not business trained that came to the rescue when nobody
else would bid.  I see it ALL the time in the non-profit world where
somebody forms an organization and plans on getting a million dollars
in donations to save the world, often coming up with elaborate and
expensive schemes to spend the money...only to find out that raising a
million dollars from donors takes decades of work, enormous effort,
significant expenses and some luck as well.

But I DO think whomever planned that kind of budget with those kinda
fees had unrealistic expectations.  Most likely, the conference will
suffer low, regional only attendance, there will be few large
sponsors, not many exhibitors and possibly it won't even break even.
Perhaps some white knight sponsor will show up....but if it's a "good"
organization will that sponsor have diverted the funds from some other
worthy cause? OR will it be somebody like big oil that will try to
influence the community to take some particular stand?

The ONLY thing I personally am complaining about it over expectations
and wasteful spending...in this day and age the only conferences or
trade shows that are surviving well depend on efficiency....and EVEN
then it's a struggle since the internet is slowly replacing the need
for all but the most important face to face meetings.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
3305 Edwards Court