[Coral-List] Registration cost for 12th ICRS

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Mon Jul 25 22:13:04 EDT 2011

I have attended all reef meetings since the third one in Miami.  The early meetings were small (<300 people), held on university casmpuses where we stayed in dorms (this includes the 1988 meeting in Townesville Australia), or less expensive venues (1981 Manila, 1996 Panama).  These early meetings may also have had better outside support to reduce costs.

More recently the trend has been to hold the meeting in more expensive hotels and conference centers.  I am sure this has been caused by the increasing number of people studying coral reefs in some fashion or another (paralleling overall human population growth), as well as expanding the scope of the subject matter included in the presentations.  About half the more recent meetings has been filled by management oriented work.  One way to possibilty reduce the size of the meetings and thus be able to return to more reasoanbly priced venues, is to use block scheduling to separate out the management/societal talks to the last 2-3 days (or 1st 2-3 days), as well as group other related topics so that people interested in one of the blocks can come for 2-4 days that include the blocks most of interest.  I understand that there is the thinking research scientists all need to be more involved with the societal stuff and viceversa, but the reality is that with 10 to 12 concurrent sessions, you are only going to be ablt to hear at most 10 % of the talks, and thus you will likely select those few sessions closer to your own field of study.

In any case, I was planning to attend the 12th meeting, likely as my last, but I cannot afford the rates I have been reading on the posts, so I will likely join the others who will only read about the meeting.

Not sure if the organizers have a way to secure some major funding to fix this problem.  If not they may find the meeting attendance will be much smaller than anticipated.

Regards,

Alina Szmant

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Coral Reef Research Program, Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington NC 28409
Tel:  (910)962-2362; fax: (910)962-2410;  cell:  (910)200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta