[Coral-List] Kimberley Marine Research Station

Ali McCarthy research at cygnetbaypearls.com.au
Wed Jul 27 18:17:34 EDT 2011

Western Australia’s Kimberley region is considered the planet’s last

 great tropical marine wilderness and, alongside the polar Arctic and

 Antarctic, falls within the remaining 3.7% of the world’s oceans

 least affected by human impacts. It is a vast, remote, pristine

 region characterised by 13,500km of dynamic and intricate coastline,

 2,633 near-shore islands and a unique wealth of marine biodiversity.

 Due to the complex and isolated nature of the Kimberley coast, the

 region’s marine environments remain largely untouched but also

 unchartered and unstudied. In the face of this knowledge gap,

 pressure from climate change and broad-scale development of tourism

 and natural resource sectors poses significant impact risks to the

 natural integrity and ecosystem function of the Kimberley’s marine

 environments. This is a critical time for the Kimberley, and the

 need for the science to bridge this void is imperative.

Based on preliminary surveys, between 250 and 280 species of hard

 corals and 140 species of sponge have been identified to date in

 Kimberley waters. With 11m tides- the second largest on the planet-

 these are the most diverse coral reefs in Western Australia and face

 the largest tidal amplitude of any tropical reef systems on Earth.

 Kimberley coral reef systems, including the spectacular

 300km² Montgomery Reef, are now believed to rival the reefs of the

 Red Sea in terms of extent and are described by prominent Kimberley

 coral geoscientist Dr Barry Wilson as “the Serengeti of the marine world”.

Perched on the tip of the Kimberley’s iconic Dampier Peninsula, the

 Kimberley Marine Research Station (KMRS) is the first and only

 fully operational marine research facility in the region.

 Established in 2009, KMRS is located on Australia’s oldest entirely

 family-owned pearl farm, Cygnet Bay Pearls, which continues to

 operate as one of Australia’s longest running aquaculture ventures

 from the same remote mainland site as it has done since 1946. Today,

 KMRS offers our pearl farm base, vessels, infrastructure, personnel

 and 65 years’ worth of local knowledge to the science community. In

 doing so, our aim is to provide the services and support required to

 help install a greater independent research effort in the Kimberley.

 We invite the science community to help us achieve the 4 research

 priorities we have identified for the region, which include establishing:

· Broad-scale biodiversity baselines of the range of marine and

coastal ecosystems

· Human-use and socioeconomic surveys of the coastline

· Long-term oceanographic monitoring programs

· Monitoring systems to gauge the rate and impacts of climate

change on local marine environments.

“Research opportunity: New and exciting information is revealed

 almost every time a scientific survey is undertaken in the wild and

 remote Kimberley region with new fish, sponges, coral reef species

 and other marine wildlife being recorded in recent years”

-WA Gov DEC & Marine Parks & Reserves Authority, Proposed Camden

 Sound Marine Park Indicative Management Plan 2010

 Please give us a call; we look forward to hearing from you.

The Kimberley Marine Research Station

research at cygnetbaypearls.com.au

www.kimberleymarineresearchstation.com.au

Cygnet Bay Pearls, Dampier Peninsula, Western Australia

phone + 61 89192 4999