[Coral-List] Lionfish eaten and potential new invaders RE: Frogfish eat lionfish

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 01:35:37 EDT 2011

Thanks, Wes!

     I think this illustrates why 2 species of Lionfish are just the tip of the iceberg for this problem, and we can expect more to be introduced to Florida waters in the future, though hopefully only a portion might be invasive.
     I remind that we may have an invasive coral problem.  Tubastraea coccinea was first reported 1948, and has since spread throughout the Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, Bahamas, and to Florida.  That species and a second Tubastraea have been introduced to Brazil, probably on oil equipment, and have invaded natural habitats and are rapidly increasing in abundance.  Recently Paul Sammarco and colleagues published a report that another Tubastraea species (T. micranthus) is on at least one Gulf oil platform in the Louisiana area, if I remember. The colonies are already pretty good size, and the other species start cranking out larvae at pretty small sizes so they may already be cranking out larvae.  But there were only a relatively small number of colonies found, the legs were not covered.  Two out of two species in this genus in West Atlantic waters have proven to be invasive, I know of no reason to think this one will not be also.  One of the few
 times you have a fighting chance with introduced or invasive species is very soon after introduction when populations are still very small.  I would recommend a program to remove all the known colonies from the platform, as well as monitor nearby platforms for new settlements of it.  I would imagine that is it is no minor thing to get to the platforms to do this kind of thing, the Sammarco group knows how to to it and exactly where they are, they or someone else needs to remove all the colonies they can find as soon as is practicable.  Once it gets out of hand, it will be too late.  Also, if anybody else is diving on any of these platforms and spots it, I would recommend removing it as soon as possible.

    One of the recent job ads on coral-list was for a largely terrestrial organization that has been quite successful at eradicating introduced species on islands I believe.  So maybe there is some hope, though marine waters may be more difficult to eradicate introduced or invasive species, I don't know.  If they are not causing harm, maybe no panic, but can we guarantee they won't cause changes in the ecosystem once they become abundant?  Not likely.  The precautionary principle would suggest that if you have an introduced species, and catch it before it has expanded, don't let the golden chance get away, remove it, nip it in the bud.  If it isn't invasive, no harm done, but if it is, you've just dodged a bullet.

    My 2 cents.   Cheers,  Doug