[Coral-List] new tool for assessing coral health

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 23:17:05 EDT 2011

There is a new tool for assessing coral healthwhich has just been released by Conservation International (CI) and is available for download free on an IUCN website (International Union for the Conservation of Nature).  I find it very easy to read and understand, and this appears to me to have widespread potential for applicability and use around the world to get a much better idea of how our reefs are doing.  I can't wait to try it out on reefs near me and see how they rate (I have a guess, but still it will be fascinating to see).          Cheers,  Doug

Coral health index (CHI) : measuring coral community health (2011, CI)
 http://www.iucn.org/dbtw-wpd/edocs/Bios-Eco-Mar-Cor-027.pdf

Douglas Fenner
Coral Reef Monitoring Ecologist
Dept Marine & Wildlife Resources
American Samoa

Mailing address:
PO Box 3730
Pago Pago, AS 96799
USA

work phone 684  633 4456

Report sees sharper sea rise from Arctic melt.

The ice of Greenland and the rest of the Arctic is melting faster than expected and could help raise global sea levels by as much as 5 feet this century, dramatically higher than earlier projections, an authoritative international assessment says.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110503/ap_on_sc/eu_arctic_climate_change#mwpphu-container