[Coral-List] Ultraviolet Radiation on Coral Larvae - microarray expression study

Christian R. Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Sat Jun 25 10:32:39 EDT 2011

Hello colleagues,

we have recently completed a study on the effects of ultraviolet radiation (UVR) to coral larvae of Montastraea faveolata. It seems that coral larvae are susceptible to UVR during the motile planula stage and we find neurogenic genes differentially expressed. These genes could explain the aberrant settlement behavior upon exposure to UVR that has been observed in previous studies. This is the first study that uses our new generation of cDNA microarrays (>10,000 clones) to assay transcriptomic changes.

The manuscript can be downloaded here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-294X.2011.05153.x/abstract

To our knowledge this is one of the first studies that looks at the molecular effects of UVR on coral larvae.

Thanks and cheers,
Chris

--
Christian R. Voolstra