[Coral-List] need GPS recommendations

freeds at pdx.edu freeds at pdx.edu
Mon Jun 27 11:41:03 EDT 2011

Dear Coral-Listers,
Can anyone recommend an easy to use, durable, handheld GPS unit?
The units are carried in the water while snorkeling. We use a
combination of waterproof cases and bags to protect them, but there is
occasional leakage. We use the units to mark our research sites out on
the water, so we just need to be able to see the coordinates of our
locations, no maps or fancy features necessary.
We need something that can handle some water contact and that has a
TRULY watertight battery compartment- the compartments in our newer
units corroded despite being 'water tight'. We also need the unit to
withstand normal wear and tear of frequent battery changes and
button-pressing, which our newer units did not either. I have a single
unit that is about 12 years old; it has held up great and has outlived
the newer ones we tried (Garmin 72H). We would appreciate any
recommendations on waterproof bags or hard cases as well.
Sincerely,
Sarah Freed
Environmental Science and Management
Portland State University