[Coral-List] FW: Coral information now online

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu Jun 30 08:33:21 EDT 2011

Thanks Ray,

That is very helpful.  I'd like to make a suggestion that could benefit many
coral listers although I have no idea from your end how much extra
programming it might require.

I believe the website could be significantly strengthened if you added a
notes section for each coral that could be updated in a WIKI type fashion.
In other words editable by all (perhaps restricted to CORAL-list membership
if you worry about quality).

>From my perspective, I could imaging that placing holding all of our Coral
Propagation and planting notes about individual species which might include
many things some examples could include tolerated/recommended coral
antiseptic dips, fragmentation tool types, ranges of depths, currents,
temperatures tolerated, sensitivity to sunburn, RTN or other
diseases/predators, growth after fragmentation patterns, expected growth
rates, known variants, etc, etc.

>From others on the list, I could see the area being used for a wide variety
of additional information that could be captured.

I strongly believe that this kind of practical additional information,
collected on all coral worldwide would be very useful in our long term
management of coral reefs.  I also believe this information could be
broadened to include all reef building species such as soft corals, coraline
algae, etc.

Just a thought...maybe somebody already has this planned...but the key to a
system like that is broad use and Vernon's work on corals is universally
used so the web based extension of his work on that site might serve as a
flash point for broad use.

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation