[Coral-List] REMINDER: April 1 Deadline for Belize Course!

Caryn Self-Sullivan caryns at sirenian.org
Thu Mar 24 10:09:43 EDT 2011

Reminder:  The registration deadline for our 2011 Field Course in
Belize is April 1st

Want to become a Marine Biologist?  Interested in Animal Behavior,
Ecology, and Conservation Biology?  Then this May be the perfect way
to spend your May-mester!

Our unique field course is taught using experiential learning
techniques, which totally engage and immerse students in marine
research within the Belize Barrier Reef Lagoon System near Belize
City, Central America.  The focus of our long-term research project is
the local manatee and dolphin population.  However, students will also
conduct their own independent research projects on a species of their
choice commonly found near our base camp on Spanish Lookout Caye.
Previous students have investigated crustaceans, birds, mollusks,
echinoderms, mangroves, seagrass, and corals, among other taxa.

This year our visiting scientist is Dr. Heather Kalb from West Liberty
University in Wheeling, WV; she is  a physiologist with expertise on
turtles!

Please follow this link to our "facebook event page" for detailed
information and registration instructions:  http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=370432825564

Alternatively, you can download the Course Briefing PDF, which
includes all forms and details, here:  http://sirenian.org/2011BelizeBriefing.pdf

CREDIT HOURS:  The course provides 100 experiential learning and
lecture hours in the field, plus approximately 35 hours of pre-
fielding reading, research, and preparation; more than 45 of the 135
total hours include direct instruction by accredited university
faculty.  This is comparable to a 3 credit hour university course and
meets the US DOE criteria as published in 34 CFR, §600.2.  You must
make arrangements IN ADVANCE with BOTH your advising faculty and Dr.
Self-Sullivan for credit to be earned through your home university.
Credit hour fees must be paid directly to your school and you must
fulfill any study abroad requirements of your school.

Caryn Self-Sullivan, Ph.D.
Consultant: Animal Behavior & Conservation
Primary Email:  caryns at sirenian.org
Mailing Address:  200 Stonewall Drive, Fredericksburg, VA 22401-2110
Mobile:  540.287.8207  |  Fax:  888.371.4998

Adjunct Faculty, Nova Southeastern University
NSU Email:  cs1733 at nova.edu
http://www.fischlerschool.nova.edu/
http://www.nova.edu/ocean/

President & Co-founder, Sirenian International, Inc.
http://sirenian.org/caryn.html