[Coral-List] Epoxy? Mortar? etc.? for coral transplantation -sharing experiences

Verena Wiesbauer Ali marinebiology.verena at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 01:19:16 EDT 2011

 Dear Listers,

I would like to thank everyone who shared their experiences with coral
attachment methods/materials with me and/or the group, particularly also the
hint that this has already been subject of a scientific studies before. If
anyone has more papers on comparative methods/materials other than Forrester
et al 2010 or Epstein et al 2001, I would appreciate pdfs since I am lost
here in the Maldives without a University server.
I should not forget the people that introduced me into the methodology a
couple of years ago: Steve Lindsay & Rob Hilliard from Australia. Whatever I
practically learned, I learned from them.

Here's a summary of attachment methods that I received from various coral
listers:

   Alternatives to epoxy/cement

Galvanized nails and binding wire, for corals that will self-attach.

www.seascapecarib.com

(2-part) Epoxy

“Carboline Carboguard” – can be mixed underwater

“Aquamend” – can be mixed underwater

http://polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-sticks/aquamend.htm

Z-spar; can be mixed underwater too, but easier to mix on land and take down
in milk crates

“All-Fix” Epoxy (by Circuit Corp.) – can be mixed underwater, gives some
time to work (1hr), comes in plastic tubs, less messy and easier to deal
than Z-Spar (metal cans)

http://www.allfixepoxy.com/servlet/the-19/BOAT-MARINE-LEAKS-LEAK/Detail

“Subcoat” by Veneziani (Italian product), hard to mix – better on land and
take it down

“Selleys Knead It Aqua” (Australian product), sets within 20-30 minutes –
non-toxic, not cheap, can be mixed underwater

http://www.selleys.com.au/putty/epoxy/knead-it-aqua/

Plasticine (what kids use; non-toxic) – brand unknown

Mortar

Portland cement – long working time. To reduce clouding, add plaster of
paris

Hydraulic cement in ziploc bags, taken underwater and mixed there with
seawater

Cheers,
Verena

Verena Wiesbauer Ali, M.Sc.