[Coral-List] Help Ban Oil Exploration on the Belize Barrier Reef.

frahome at yahoo.com frahome at yahoo.com
Wed May 4 17:55:50 EDT 2011

With all respect, the statement: "It could bring big bucks and jobs to a
relatively poor country and hopefully  bring down the cost of fuel." seems taken
out from a purely demagogic political debate, a lot more emotional and
emotionally appealing than the statements being criticized.

Hoping that the cost of fuel will go down when peak oil has been reached, or
will be soon reached, it's quite an interesting expectation (IEA stated last
November that conventional crude oil peaked in 2006).
Hoping that the involved corporations will share the profit with the poor local
people sounds also quite "naive".

I might be hysterical but I do not feel assured even if they promise me they
won't drill right on top of a coral or my house. Anyway all that is oil and
pro-conventional-growth based it is for me definitely short-sighted even in the
best scenario and unless overcome quickly it will lead to world wide (not just
Belize) disasters, but maybe I have been reading too much
post-carbon/post-growth stuff.
Greetings
Francesca