[Coral-List] Lionfish invasion in the Caribbean : list of Contacts - Invasión del pez león en el Caribe: lista de contactos

Franck Gourdin franck.gourdin.carspaw at guadeloupe-parcnational.fr
Fri May 6 16:26:02 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

In 2010, during the general assembly of the ICRI, given the
Caribbean/Western Atlantic invasion of Pacific lionfish species, was
created a Regional Ad-Hoc Committee to facilitate a coordinated response
to the lionfish invasion in the Caribbean, generate a regional strategic
plan to try to control it, care handling and follow-up actions. The
control of this invasive species is supported on article 8 of the
Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), as well as in article 12 of
the SPAW protocol of the Cartagena Convention and its new SPAW Work Plan.

We are working actually in this Regional Lionfish Ad Hoc Committee (RLC)
with our partners and stakeholders (ICRI, CABI, US, Mexico, and some
other experts (from REEF, NOAA...)) to develop and implement a regional
lionfish control strategy to identify and guide collaborative responses,
with many concrete actions and priorities starting: manual of best
practices, training of trainers, sharing data and information,
regulation statements, creation of a list of contacts with the use of a
webportal....

So, we are actually looking for contacts to integrate into this lionfish
list. The main goal of this list is to facilitate exchanges and sharing
of information.
We know there are already many existing lists, but this is specific to
the lionfish invasion in the Caribbean.
New contacts working on this issue will be added to the lionfish list we
are developing with all those involved in this battle to improve
coordination and cooperation.

Requested information for a new contact to add are:
- Name,
- Country,
- Organisation,
- Position,
- Activities (research, management, education, regulation...),
- and email.

If you want more information, please feel free to email me. We can
exchange in english or spanish.
With this huge threat for the Caribbean, it is necessarry to go forward
together.

Best regards,

Franck GOURDIN
Programme Officer
Regional Activity Center for Specially Protected Areas and Wildlife
SPAW/RAC ¨C UNEP
http://www.car-spaw-rac.org