[Coral-List] Forever

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 12:51:30 EDT 2011

Nice post Martin, and it should make all of us realize the importance of doing what we can today to stop the decline in many of our marine ecosystems before its too late.  Some people believe that we have already reached that point, I, for one, do not, I believe there is still time to save our ocean and our coral reefs but we have to start now!  We at Reef Relief strongly believe that through education and outreach, we can change peoples attitudes towards the marine environment and change those behaviors that contribute to the declines that we are witnessing today.  Its a start, and I also realize that we have to get the politicos involved in a much more comprehensive manner but thats a whole other story.  Climate change and ocean acidification are two of the most challenging threats to the environment that we as a species has ever faced and we must begin to lower our carbon emissions to the point of 350ppm, I think is the magic number and we are
 already above that threshold and at our current trajectory, if changes are not made soon, coral reefs could be gone by the end of the century if not sooner.  And yes, leaving our children and their children with these challenges is not a choice, we must start now, not later, to combat these threats so that future generations can witness and enjoy the beauty of the sea-- it is the most magnificent environment on planet Earth and we must become better stewards now!

Rudy Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief

Exultation is the going of an inland soul to Sea,
pass the harbor and the headlands
into deep eternity,
As we, bred among mountains,
can the sailor understand