[Coral-List] Lion fish consumption

Randi Rotjan randi.rotjan at tufts.edu
Mon May 23 16:23:12 EDT 2011

To add some additional anecdotal data to the story:

We have just returned from Carrie Bow Caye, Belize, where we dissected 11
lionfish. Stomach contents included shrimp (many), but also included:

1 stomatopod (!), a small serranid (probably a hamlet?), a Harlequin bass, a
long-spined squirrelfish, and a dusky squirrelfish. We also observed an
elongate, unidentified prey fish that was ~2/3 the length of the lionfish
predator, and a small unidentified fish with a damsel-like body shape. In
both cases, the fishes were too far digested to accurately ID using crude
visual assessment.

Only 2/11 lionfish had empty stomachs. (NOTE: we did not keep track of
time-of-day killed; which is likely to have a major influence on stomach
contents). 3/11 lionfish had only shrimp in their stomachs (no fish).

We did not observe any instances of other fishes consuming or attacking
lionfish.

Sincerely,

Randi Rotjan, Peter Gawne, Jay Dimond, Scott Jones, Zach Foltz, and Walter
Flaherty

--
Randi D. Rotjan, Ph.D.

There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to
brighten it everywhere. --Isaac Asimov