[Coral-List] Lionfish eaten and potential new invaders RE: Frogfish eats lionfish!

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Wed May 25 18:26:09 EDT 2011

Actually, it is indeed a frogfish eating a lionfish!In the original link provided by Ed Blume
http://www.scubazoo.com/updates/blog/crazy-underwater-animal-behaviour.
You have to go to the video menu bar below and click on "Giant frogfish eats poisonous lionfish".The lionfish shown there (in aquarium conditions) is, if I'm not mistaken, a red dwarf fuzzy lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus). They are wildly popular among aquarists because they are very easy to maintain (even easier than the red lionfish Pterois volitans/miles)
The good news is that if frogfish eat lionfish, then we should add them to the potential list of lionfish predators in the Atlantic (the list is growing little by little).The bad news is that, there are many popular lionfish species among aquarists that go beyond the now Atlantic invader Pterois volitans/miles.So one is left to wonder if there could be more "unintended releases" going of other lionfish species, even stronger and more adaptable than P. volitans
I've asked this question before in other forums but I've been dismissed rather quickly.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Schmidt Ocean Institute Postdoctoral FellowOcean Research & Conservation Association (ORCA) 1420 Seaway Drive, Fort Pierce, Florida 34949 USA Tel (772) 467-1600http://www.teamorca.orghttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres