[Coral-List] Frogfish eats Lionfish

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 16:41:33 EDT 2011

It is certain that the invasive lionfish that is now firmly established in Florida waters came from one source, genetic studies have proven this.  Now, what to do with them, or how can we manage their populations?  Some folks have suggested opening a fishery for the species, others try to eradicate them by holding so-called lionfish derbies.  The best approach would be to open a fishery for them but I also know that it is very unlikely to occur.  And I agree with Doug, the best way to deal with invasives is to not introduce them in the first place, so how do we go about doing that.  Education, outreach, are part of the solution I would think, and perhaps getting a ban, or more restrictive import measures when dealing with exotic species perhaps through CITES, I dont know.  I do know this that lionfish derbies do not put the slightest dent in reducing their numbers.  I also know from personal experience that these guys do exhibit site
 fidelity-- I know where I can find a few right now, and they have always been at that location and the only reason why I have not shot them is because I wanted to find out if they do indeed exhibit site fidelity.  I do not like to kill things, especially when it is our fault that they are here!  In this case however, I am going to make an exception and begin harvesting lionfish, they are good to eat.  We can only hope that in the future people will realize the possible conseqences of their actions before they act.  And yes, Florida could be the poster child for invasive/exotic species-- we have 15 foot pythons roaming the everglades, iguanas are a common sight throughout the Keys, along with other reptiles.  Fishes too, and there are many.  Its a shame that I have to go out and kill such a beautiful fish, all because some non-thinking human decided to discard one into the Atlantic!

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street