[Coral-List] $33B Hawaii Reef Economics Value

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri Nov 18 11:24:16 EST 2011

Robert, Thank you for exposing the devious nature of the,  "Total
Economic Value for Protecting and Restoring Hawaiian Coral Reef
Ecosystems" survey that came up with an outrageous $33.5B per year
value of Hawaiian coral reefs. You did a great job of showing the
problems, flaws, and exaggerations. In my long career I have seldom
seen a questionnaire type survey that was not self-serving. I like to
call them, "when did you stop beating your wife" surveys that imply
you have been beating your wife (or dog). Agencies that do these
surveys decide what they want to do then ask questions about various
options and ways to accomplish the thing they want. They never ask
the basic question,  Is the thing or action they want necessary in
the first place? They are usually all about expanding the agency and
squeezing more funding (our money) out of Congress.
     I suppose they know how poorly educated the vast majority really
is (especially in science) and realize they can pull the wool over
their eyes. You clearly exposed this attitude in your posting. These
days agencies often have covert help from tax exempt Non Government
Foundations (NGOs) that are very good at getting press coverage,
influencing congress, and squeezing tax exempt donations from those
having expendable money or in need of the tax breaks they provide.
Gene PS: I could not help noticing posting number 3 that starts with:
"Seeking a Natural Resource Social Scientist to support the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Center for Coastal Monitoring
and Assessment (CCMA), Biogeography Branch. (note key words, "Social
Scientist")
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor