[Coral-List] Ocean adification and biomineralization of otoliths

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 08:10:14 EST 2011

This may be of interest:
Fablet, R., L. Pecquerie, et al. (2011). "Shedding Light on Fish Otolith
Biomineralization Using a Bioenergetic Approach." PLoS ONE 6(11): e27055.
    Otoliths are biocalcified bodies connected to the sensory system in the
inner ears of fish. Their layered, biorhythm-following formation provides
individual records of the age, the individual history and the natural
environment of extinct and living fish species. Such data are critical for
ecosystem and fisheries monitoring. They however often lack validation and
the poor understanding of biomineralization mechanisms has led to striking
examples of misinterpretations and subsequent erroneous conclusions in fish
ecology and fisheries management. Here we develop and validate a numerical
model of otolith biomineralization. Based on a general bioenergetic theory,
it disentangles the complex interplay between metabolic and temperature
effects on biomineralization. This model resolves controversial issues and
explains poorly understood observations of otolith formation. It represents
a unique simulation tool to improve otolith interpretation and
applications, and, beyond, to address the effects of both climate change
and ocean acidification on other biomineralizing organisms such as corals
and bivalves.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0027055