[Coral-List] Invasive Species

Paul Jarvis carpenpan1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 07:09:10 EST 2011

Hi all,
I am a lurker here on the list.
I enjoy working with corals and am concerned with reef ecology. I am also a fisheries biologist. One of the lists I belong to is the yahoo tilapia mailing list.

This past week a thread was started there on the topic of saline full strength seawater tilapia production.

The concept of tilapia reproduction in seawater scares the heck out of me. As you can see this could be an ecological disaster. Tilapia are very fecund and would spread like a disease if ever encouraged to reproduce in full salinity seawater.

Just wanted to give the heads up on this before it gets out of hand.

According to listers on the tilapia list progress and success has already been achieved.

Perhaps you can do something before Pandoras box is opened.

Sincerely,
Paul Jarvis,
Fisheries Biologist, Aquaculturist