[Coral-List] Termination of the National Biological Information Infrastructure program

David M. Lawrence dave at fuzzo.com
Thu Oct 6 23:53:46 EDT 2011

Dear all:

I just heard of this from David Inouye, moderator of the ECOLOG-L list.
According to the NBII Web site (http://www.nbii.gov):

"In the 2012 President's Budget Request, the National Biological
Information Infrastructure (NBII) is terminated. As a result, all
resources, databases, tools, and applications within this web site will
be removed on January 15, 2012. For more information, please refer to
the NBII Program Termination page."

The termination page is at http://1.usa.gov/ok8BgX

I doubt the programmatic savings is worth the loss of access to the
information contained.  More important, how will the closure of this
program affect the coral research and conservation communities?

Later,

Dave

  David M. Lawrence        | Home:  (804) 559-9786
  7471 Brook Way Court     | Fax:   (804) 559-9787
  Mechanicsville, VA 23111 | Email: dave at fuzzo.com
  USA                      | http:  http://fuzzo.com

"All drains lead to the ocean."  -- Gill, Finding Nemo

"We have met the enemy and he is us."  -- Pogo

"No trespassing
  4/17 of a haiku"  --  Richard Brautigan