[Coral-List] Reef Research Needs

Helder Perez helder.perez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:47:14 EDT 2011

Could we invite an entomologist to join the discussion to elaborate on what
options do we have to decimate the mosquito and sandfly populations? As I
understand the problem is not only for Florida Keys, but for the Bay Islands
and elsewhere in the Caribbean where there are touristy destinations (locals
clearly don't mind those airborne suckers that much).

About ten years ago there was a big project in Roatan to eradicate the
mosquito and sandfly problem. I don't think people then saw link between the
(over) use of bug repellent and reef health, but they came up with some
interesting info. Aside from a handful species of mosquitoes, there are also
 different species of sandflies. Clearly, there will never be an universal
bug spray that will kill them all (without hurting the corals), but maybe a
holistic approach could be reached without compromising the fragile
ecosystems -and people's DNA.

Cheers,

Helder I. Pérez
Technical Advisor