[Coral-List] non-artificial reef structure

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 27 15:14:57 EDT 2011

We have off of Key West many submerged pilings associated with former piers that have either been abandoned or have disintegrated to the point to where only submerged portions remain.  There is a spot in particular where the coral growth, on a metalic surface, is quite extensive and appears to be healthy and this is within 200 yards of the shoreline in water depths that max out at ten feet during high tide.  So, I do know from first hand observation that these derelict piers, seawalls, etc can and do support life with a good amount of diversity.

Hey Gene, if you stop the spraying you might get some folks to leave the keys, but you then I think the Keys Disease will really start spreading, no rocks, no water, no Scotch on
the rocks!     Rudy

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief