[Coral-List] Black reefs

Bruno, John F jbruno at unc.edu
Thu Sep 8 12:26:48 EDT 2011

Hi David,

It seems the more we learn about Kingman and other reefs in the Line Islands, the more abnormal their abiotic setting seems to be.  Kingman is highly oligotrophic and iron-limited, it has the luck of not having experienced significant warming (high temp anomalies) in the last few decades or as far as we know, any major storms, COTS or disease outbreaks, etc.  Couldn't these factors explain the high coral and low macroalgal cover recently observed there (particularly the iron/nutrient limitation)?  Or do you still argue the most parsimonious explanation is the presence of sharks and other top predators?  And do you still think this reef should serve as a global model for what a pristine reef is supposed to look like?  The more it is studied, the more anomalous is appears to be.

Sincerely, John

Message: 3