[Coral-List] ICRS 12 Mini-symposium 8d - Effects of Ocean Acidification (Chris Langdon, Katharina Fabricius, Brad Opdyke)

Chris Langdon clangdon at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Sep 8 13:04:36 EDT 2011

Just three weeks remain till the ICRS 2012 abstract submission deadline of
Oct 1.  If you do research on the effects of ocean acidification on
organisms or communities in the lab or in the field we would like to
invite you to submit an abstract for the mini-symposium "Effects of Ocean
Acidification" (8d) at the 12th International Coral Reef Symposium to be
held in Cairns, Australia from the 9-13 July 2012.

Effects of Ocean Acidification

Ocean acidification can impact organisms and ecosystems in many ways.  At
the organismal level it can affect the fitness of the organism by impeding
the ability to build a skeleton or shell.  The increased metabolic cost of
maintaining an optimal internal pH for calcification and other metabolic
processes may have other consequences such as higher respiration rates and
nutritional requirements, decreased scope for growth, decreased resources
for reproduction, and decreased resources to cope with other environmental
stressors.  We also know that OA conditions can impact animal behaviors
through effects on their sensory systems.  At the ecosystem level we can
expect to find changes in community structure as some species find
themselves at a competitive advantage or disadvantage.  Predator-prey
interactions may change as defensive mechanisms and behaviors are
strengthened or weakened. Impacts at the ecosystem level may first be
detectable as changes in carbon allocation, the ratio of primary
production to calcification and the balance between calcification and
dissolution.  We also welcome studies that look at the buffer capacity of
the differing coral reef sediments to a lower pH environment.  Please
consider submitting an abstract to this session if your work addresses any
of these issues.

Please submit your abstracts through the 12th ICRS web site
(http://www.icrs2012.com) before October 1st.

Chris Langdon
Katharina Fabricius
Bradley Opdyke