[Coral-List] History of sampling methods for marine benthos

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 19:59:48 EDT 2011

Alexis, I have been out of town and off-line and only recently picked up
your post.

As background for developing and testing ways of improving coral reef line
transect surveys I have investigated the history and usage of the
line-intercept and point point transects quite thoroughly beginning with
their origins in terrestrial plant ecology. You may find this history
useful. Others may be interested in my tests and conclusions and in the
lessons found in the early literature (e.g., circumstances influencing
whether a line point or a line-intercept transect would be the better
choice).

Allison, W. R. (1997). Performance of the line-intercept transect in the
coral reef habitat: accuracy, precision, errors and their control. Zoology
Department. Toronto, National Library of Canada. MSc: 227.
    MQ51600.pdf
 Available online at:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/s4/f2/dsk1/tape11/PQDD_0025/MQ51600.pdf

I can provide a higher quality searchable text copy of smaller file size to
anyone wishing it.

Bill