[Coral-List] videos on next Majuro reefs to be mined

Dean Jacobson atolldino at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 04:16:29 EDT 2012

Listers:

I just posted ten short videos filmed this past weekend along 500 meters of lagoon reef (due to be mined for the FAA RSA project) on my youtube channel (atolldino).
http://youtu.be/ZqnnXQu7-bw

Youtube's brightness and shakiness corrections both helped and hurt the videos, sorry for the poor quality.  (I hope my Sony HD camcorder is repaired soon... this is from a housing-less Olympus camera).  This patch of rare blue Pocillopora was a surprise, as was a nice big school of young goatfish.  This is a magical reef, not deserving to be draglined!  Th (e other 9 videos show the very high (typically 100%) live coral cover, typical of the RMI, even in somewhat degraded Majuro lagoon.
References to a petition I have started can be found on the "free-for-all" site.

Cheers,
Dean Jacobson
College of the Marshall Islands