[Coral-List] Monitoring project at Fernando de Noronha - Brazil

Osmar Luiz osmarluizjr at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 20:30:25 EDT 2012

Dear Maite,

Please be advised that the impacts of recreational scuba diving in Fernando de Noronha was assessed recently, as well an estimated carrying capacity for the activity. The results of this work is currently being formatted for publication in peer-reviewed journals. This research, which I had the opportunity to coordinate, was performed under initiative and funding from the Brazilian governmental agency for biodiversity conservation (ICMBio).

In this work we advise the importance of a continuous monitoring program as essential to evaluate the effectiveness of suggested mitigation actions, such environmental briefings, maximum number of visitors per dive site/day, ratio of divemasters/visitors per group among others.. We are optimistic that further funds for the proposed monitoring are going to be released in the future and so then you might take advantage of that. Usually, this grants are advertised by announcements ('editais') on the Brazilian government official Press.

With best regards
Osmar

-------------------------
Osmar J. Luiz, Jr. - Ph.D. candidate