[Coral-List] Fish ID

Mark Tupper mtupper at coastal-resources.org
Thu Apr 26 12:34:46 EDT 2012

   Hi Alice,

   I'm pretty sure that is the early juvenile stage of Alectis ciliaris, the
   African  pompano, which is a Carangid (jack/trevally family). The long
   filaments are thought to mimic the stinging tentacles of a jellyfish, giving
   the juvenile pompano some protection from predation. I've never seen one
   that young before. The markings on the fin filaments are really striking.

   Cheers,

   Mark

   Dr. Mark Tupper, Director of Environmental Science
   Coastal Resources Association
   Head Office: 16880 87 Ave., Surrey, BC, Canada V4N 5J4
   www.coastal-resources.org
   Email: mtupper at coastal-resources.org
   Tel. 1-604-961-2022
   Philippines: c/o Rio Mijares
   Poblacion, Sagay, Camiguin, Philippines 9103
   On Thu Apr 26 9:55 , Alice Grainger sent:

     Dear All,
     This fish was recently spotted off Nusa Penida by the Aquatic Alliance
     team.
     [1]https://picasaweb.google.com/105427757386826601554/UnidentifiedFishNusa
     Penida
     So far no one has been able to ID it, though many suspect it is a juvenile
     of some description.
     Any help in identifying this remarkable fish would be gratefully received.
     Many thanks!
     Alice