[Coral-List] new paper on tracking coral symbiont populations

Warner, Mark E. mwarner at udel.edu
Wed Aug 22 12:31:54 EDT 2012

Dear Coral listers,

I would like to call your attention to a new publication that investigates the possibility for changing Symbiodinium populations in eastern Pacific populations of Pocillopora using quantitative PCR, following a natural bleaching event: <http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v462/p1-7/> (McGinley et al. 2012. Symbiodinium spp. in colonies of eastern Pacific Pocillopora spp. are highly stable despite the prevalence of low-abundance background populations. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 462:1-7). Of particular importance for this method, we note specific C-T (cycle threshold) values that were used for scoring a positive amplification of a particular type of symbiont. We hope you find this work useful.

Kind regards,
Mark

______________________________
Mark E. Warner
Associate Professor

University of Delaware,
College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment
School of Marine Science and Policy

mailing address:
700 Pilottown Rd.
Smith Building, 113