[Coral-List] Crazy Ideas to Save Coral Reefs

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri Aug 31 15:47:44 EDT 2012

Dear  Jessica, In answer to your question, what can a diver do, you
might suggest that they do not urinate in the water, do not wear
sunscreen, and do not exhale,(exhaled breath contains between 30,000
and 40,000 ppm CO2). Actually there is little we can do regarding CO2
that would significantly change its concentration in the air or water
in the short term.  Ove Hoegh-Guldberg is correct when he said in
Mother Jones Magazine, "It's unwise to assume we will be able to
stabilize atmospheric CO2 at levels necessary to reduce or prevent
ongoing damage to marine ecosystems." Most changes due to CO2  are in
deep water or in shallow estuaries, not in coral reef areas. Deep
water corals below the compensation zone have always dwelt with
higher levels of CO2. Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor