[Coral-List] Coral Thermal Tolerance: Tuning Gene Expression to Resist Thermal Stress

andrew ross andyroo_of72 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 10:00:53 EST 2012

Mauricio,
Thanks for the posting/forward. In support:
Between 2006 and 2008 we repeated the same multi-site/depth nursery growth experiments with the same genets/lineages of A. cervicornis in Montego Bay (Jamaica). Bleaching was heavy in the first year ('06-'07) and vague in the second ('07-'08) and generally depth/site related. Although the sample size ended up too small to show significance, we definitely saw a trend towards "hardening" to bleaching stress (didn't monitor temperature or UV, just looked at reaction) in the bleached-and-recovered samples/sites over the samples/sites that didn't bleach in the first iteration/year.
So, if you can't find temperature tolerant lineages, apparently you can make them... at least to an extent.
Yes yes, I need to publish...
Andrew Ross
UWI (Mona), CMS
Seascape Caribbean