[Coral-List] Acidification & Boring Erosion

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sun Dec 9 14:45:10 EST 2012

Bonjour ma petite choux.

Aline, I apologise for omitting mention of your (excellent) work. I was momentarily stunned by the graphic reminder that few coral reef biologists know the first thing about bioerosion.

Christine, thank you for reminding me how old I am. I will see you later about this matter.

There are several take-home messages here.

1. the "reef community" needs constant, acerbic reminding that we have known for 40 years that bioerosion is the single most important ordering process in the carbonate balance of reefs. To ignore this is to doom the field to continuing failure.

2. it is up to us eroders to spread the word: as my farmer friends up here say, "You can fix ignorant, but you can't fix stupid."

3. we not only need more attention paid to this field, we need some rapid-assessment techniques. In fact (see 1, above) we need these a lot more than we need many of the present techniques being touted to assess reef "resiliency." I can see two obvious candidates, and there are no doubt more:
	-application of Aline's technique, in which blocks are set out and scored for microendoliths (which is itself a continuation of Kobluck's work in the early 70's)
	-rapid sponge assessment, a la Kate Holmes.

By now, it should be obvious that no coral reef assessment technique is complete without an assessment of rates of bioerosion.

Mike

On 2012-12-09, at 2:10 PM, aline.tribollet at ird.fr wrote:

> Thanks Christine for your message and inputs. You are right Mike, bioeroders need desperately more attention, especially in the context of global change (rising seasurface T°c and OA). But good work is undergoing from Christine Schoenberg, Max Wisshak, myself, and others.
>
> Here is the reference of my paper on the effects of OA on microborers:
> Tribollet A, Godinot C, Atkinson M, Langdon C (2009) Effects of elevated pCO2 on dissolution of coral carbonates by microbial euendoliths. Global Biogeochem. Cycles 23: GB3008, doi: 10.1029/2008GB003286
>
> Aloha,
> Aline Tribollet

Michael Risk
riskmj at mcmaster.ca