[Coral-List] Impact of listing 66 coral species on coral research

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Fri Dec 14 16:12:49 EST 2012

Thank you Jennifer for explaining the listing details.  For years I
had been under the impression that a species had to be threatened
throughout it range to be listed. I see now there is no such
constraint.

Under the definition of the difference between threatened and
endangered I note it says:
"In terms of application, a species listed as endangered
automatically receives the full protection of the act, including all
prohibitions on the following activities: import and export; "take" -
meaning harrass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap,
capture, or collect, or attempt to engage in any such conduct;
possess, sell, deliver, carry transport, or ship if taken illegally;
interstate and foreign commerce."
      I supposed the key word is, "harm" which could include the long
list provided recently by Doug Fenner. Would Co2 or fire of any kind
that produces Co2 qualify as "harm"?  It seems that what qualifies as
harm could have wide interpretation and could include Parrot fish
biting live coral. That is harm we see on every trip to the reef.

      Most interesting is the sentence, " We must develop and
implement recovery plans for all listed species regardless of listing
status." Now we all know that will never happen. We are still waiting
for the Acropra plan.
Thank you for the clarifications. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)