[Coral-List] Effective communications tools?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 17:40:31 EST 2012

Also, in some cultures there is a protocol, and that can specify who you
must talk to first, and that may often be the chief.  Don't follow protocol
and you may not get anywhere, it can make a big difference.  People within
the culture usually know the protocol, since they must follow it as well.
  Cheers,  Doug

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Ian Butler <ian.butler at uqconnect.edu.au>wrote:

> My two cents.....
>
> I agree with you Gino, in my experience I have found the same in Papua New
> Guinea and Cambodia - find the "Big Man" (it usually is a guy...)  first
> and get that person on side.  This person may not be the person who you
> might think it is at first, ask around. It could be the oldest most
> experienced fisherman,  the richest person or the local police chief, for
> example - depends on the culture or group.  If that person is upset by you
> for some reason (eg  talking to others first)  you may find your efforts
> stymied.   Be sure to get the ladies on side, as well.  The ladies/wives
> always get so much done while the guys play chief... :)     (There may be a
> "Big Lady" amongst the ladies as well who can help get the ladies on
> side...)
>
> Anyway, just my thoughts.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

Dept. Marine & Wildlife Resources, American Samoan Government
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA