[Coral-List] Ocean acidification is simply a bandwagon.

George Roff g.roff at uq.edu.au
Mon Feb 13 17:59:02 EST 2012

On 11/02/2012, at 8:39 AM, Jason Krumholz wrote:

The solution of course, is that 'more research funding is needed'.  Perhaps
rather than all scientists couching this obligatory phrase somewhere deep in
the discussions of their manuscripts, we should adopt a convention to use it
as the first sentence of the abstract of all coral related publications.
For example: "More research is needed, but we report here the results of a
study on the impact of grazing on Acropora growth rates..."

With all the recent OA discussion on coral list, it might be worth taking note of a new paper published a few days ago in Ecology Letters, detailing the impact of ocean acidification on crustose coralline algae and interactions between planktonic coral larvae and substrate settlement preferences:

Doropoulos et al. (2012) Ocean acidification reduces coral recruitment by disrupting intimate larval-algal settlement interactions. Ecology Letters DOI: 10.1111/j.1461-0248.2012.01743.x

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1461-0248.2012.01743.x/abstract

Regards,

Jez

---

George Roff

ARC Postdoctoral Research Fellow
School of Biology, University of Queensland
Ph: +61 7 3365 1671 Skype: j.roff
www.marinespatialecologylab.org<http://www.marinespatialecologylab.org>