[Coral-List] The role of hope and bandwagons (CARNE, LISA)

Deb Cleland deborah.cleland at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 19:32:15 EST 2012

I agree entirely with Lisa. Hope and optimism play as much of a role as
bull-wrestling and micropscopes. As I wrote in the Griffith Review, in a
piece on hope and reef fisheries "Those of us aspiring to change have our
favourite weapons that we brandish at the world. Armed with keyboards,
facts, thermometers, nubbins and placards, we choose our paths and our
horizons." (
http://griffithreview.com/edition-32-wicked-problems-exquisite-dilemmas/if-wishes-were-fishes
)

But as Lisa points out, it is probably also time to look at the efficacy of
our actions as the next ICRS looms and little has changed.

Cheers
Deb