[Coral-List] Update comparing diving destinations

Bastiaan Vermonden bastiaan.vermonden at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:20:35 EST 2012

Dear Coral Listers,

I would like to update everyone who is interested on the progress of my
project. For those people who are unfamiliar with my project it is my
intention to compare diving destinations based on certain quality criteria
which I hope will lead divers to select destinations where the quality is
highest. I hope that this will result in a shift in diver demand which will
then hopefully cause destinations to make extra effort to protect their
environment as a way to attract divers. Due to the high costs of ecological
surveying I have opted for using a standard survey which asks divers if/and
what animals they have seen and use this to compare diving destinations

Until now I managed to collect 210 surveys of which I think many were
filled in by people from the coral list so thank you. Using these initial
results*,* I started a website diveselector.com. I rated the likelihoods of
encounters with big fish, turtles, rays and sharks for a number of diving
destinations. A rating of 5 means that the chance of an encounter is
virtually guaranteed while 1 or 0 means the chance of an encounter is very
low. *Please explore the site and * if you know someone who could fill out
a survey please ask them to do so. *Additional* surveys are needed for this
*project to be accurate. *Any and all input will be most appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bastiaan