[Coral-List] Reef destruction on Majuro

Douglas Fenner douglasfenner at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 16:27:00 EST 2012

     I would just add that this is not exactly good PR (public relations) for the US or the FAA.  People all over the world know about this now.  How does it look, "Reefs all over the world going down the tubes, Australia moves to protect giant additional area of coral reef, UK moves to protect giant coral reefs in the Indian Ocean, Kiribati protects giant area with remote near-pristine reefs, Palau protects all its sharks and big reef fish, the Marshall Is. protects all its sharks, while the USA FAA spends money to destroy living coral in violation of Presidential order"???
    I can tell you that as a US citizen, busting my hump to try to save reefs along with so many others, I don't much like seeing my government using our taxpayer dollars to have living corals destroyed, no matter where it is.  Especially when such an easy alternative is right there with no environmental cost, a huge lagoon full of sand and aggregate with no coral on it, ready to be used.
    My understanding is that an Executive Order from the President is law until overridden by an act of Congress or revoked by another EO or ruled unconstitutional by a court.  I'm no lawyer, but it looks like this could be grounds for a lawsuit.
     C'mon, show a little leadership, do the right thing.   Cheers,  Doug