[Coral-List] Don't be Such a scientist

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:35:52 EST 2012

For another "don't be such a scientist" diagnosis and Rx for
influencing policy, have a look at this article:

Kassen, R. (2011). "If you want to win the game, you must join in."
Nature 480(7376): 151.
	When governments ignore scientific advice, it is often because
researchers do not engage with the political process, says Rees
Kassen.

Scientists tend to blame poor policy decisions on a scientifically
illiterate or uninterested political class and a media that
oversimplifies ideas or sensationalizes controversy. There is no doubt
a nugget of truth here. In the current Canadian parliament, just 17 of
308 MPs hold a first degree in the natural sciences, engineering or
health sciences. If parliament reflected national university
graduation rates in these fields, there would be 98.

Still, researchers must recognize that poor scientific decisions in
politics do not necessarily result from a lack of understanding. They
are, rather, a failure of scientists to communicate their message
effectively in what is ultimately a political, not a scientific,
arena.

A former top bureaucrat in the Canadian civil service once gave me the
political perspective on this divide: scientists, he said, think too
highly of their own view of the world and fail to appreciate the
complex, multifarious nature of decision making. Our mistake is to
think that science will be given a privileged voice on an issue. This
is almost always wrong. From a politician's point of view, science is
an interest group like any other.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/480153a