[Coral-List] 3 Things You Didn't See on "60 Minutes"

Billy Causey billy.causey at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 3 17:03:13 EST 2012

Wes,
Thank you for this even and thoughtful response.  I agree with what you
have pointed out.  It was with great anticipation that I eagerly waited for
the airing of the 60 Minute episode on Cuba's Coral Reefs.  In April,
thanks to EDF (Dan Whittle) and others, I had my first chance to dive off
the south coast of Isle of Youth (Pines) in Cuba.   It was not the Gardens
of the Queen, but all I heard was how much better the corals were there, as
compared to where we were diving.  It was hard to imagine ...for where we
were diving there were great stands of Acropora palmata and other species.
 The corals were not without their problems, but comparatively speaking
they were the healthiest coral reefs I had seen for years in the Caribbean.

We can only hope for accuracy in story-telling .... but as you have pointed
out, so much of that is out of our control.  Every once in a while, when we
see a special reef or visit an area that is healthier than another, we need
to celebrate and remind ourselves that not all is lost.  Or otherwise, why
are any of us devoting our careers and lives to something that is so lost
in other people's minds?  I am determined to help make it better for my
grandchildren.  Peer review hasn't saved one coral reef yet! As necessary
as it is in our business, it does not trump passion and emotion.

To all of my friends ... please take this in the spirit of a New Year!
 Happy New Year!!  Billy

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Tunnell, Wes <Wes.Tunnell at tamucc.edu>wrote:

> Coral-List,
>
> To echo Gregor's sentiment about how much effort goes into getting on 60
> Minutes and preparing and executing one short piece, please see the note
> below from David Guggenheim. There is a time and place for peer review, and
> it is usually among peers in journals and on review panels. Interviewees
> have little control over what is aired. Showing that program to over 18
> million people could have started a conversation important to our science,
> so we should not be too picky with its science content, and celebrate that
> it even got aired.
>
> Although most of you probably do not have time to read the long message
> below, it gives you a good sense of what else was covered and what was left
> out.
>
> Regards,
> Wes
>
> John W. (Wes) Tunnell, Jr., Ph.D.
> Associate Director, Harte Research Institute
> for Gulf of Mexico Studies and Harte Research Scientist
> Regents Professor and Professor of Biology
> Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
> 6300 Ocean HRI 318C, MS 5869
> Corpus Christi, Texas 78412
> Phone: 361-825-2055
> Fax: 361-825-2050
> wes.tunnell at tamucc.edu
> HRI:   http://www.harteresearchinstitute.org
> Gulfbase: http://www.gulfbase.org
> "Life is a journey that's measured not in  miles or years but in
> experiences"
> Jimmy Buffett. A Pirate Looks at Fifty, 1998

Billy D. Causey, Ph.D.
Regional Director
Southeast Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Region
NOAA's Office of National Marine Sanctuaries
33 East Quay Road
Key West, Florida 33040

Office:  305 809 4670 (ex 234)
Mobile: 305 395 0150
Fax:     305 293 5011
Email:  Billy.Causey at noaa.gov

Will Our Grandchildren Remember Us For What We Conserved and Protected or
For What We Let Slip Away?