[Coral-List] Fwd: Sea Turtles, Plastic, and the New Year

For The Sea Productions info at forthesea.com
Thu Jan 5 08:47:39 EST 2012

Please post the following
The original post had a link attached to it but for some reason when you posted it it wasn't there.
Below is the whole post with the specified link for the you tube request Please see request below the post).
Thank you and have a great 2012,
Ziggy

Post starts:

Seasons Greetings and Happy New Year!
Last night on the way back from a night dive in the Red Sea we discovered a very young sea turtle floating on the surface (see attached). As soon as I approached I realized that something was wrong.  Turtles are rarely found on the surface at night because it leaves them vulnerable to predators. The poor fellow was dead and in perfect condition.  This is often a clear indicator that the cause of death was ingestion of plastic.
I couldn’t sleep last night after this, and was trying hard to figure out how is it possible that from the whole big ocean it ends up in front of me.  With first light it dawned on me that maybe the little guy showed up to encourage us to remember our life-giving seas as we move into the new year.
I would like to invite you to view on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SxyQBBB2BQ&feature=youtu.be) a short film we produced with the help of the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands, Coral World - Ocean Park, VI-EPSCoR, NSF, UVI's Sea Grant, the University of the Virgin Islands Center for Marine and Environmental Studies, Virgin Islands Lottery and VIERS. It was recently aired on CBS TV2 news and now brought to you in the spirit of beginning anew in 2012. I hope that this piece will entertain, educate, and inspire you to take action. Together, we are all a part of the solution!

Please share this email with all your contacts.

All the best in the New Year,

Ziggy

Ziggy Livnat
For The Sea Productions