[Coral-List] Don't be such a scientist

Julian @ Reef Check julian at reefcheck.org.my
Tue Jan 10 10:44:58 EST 2012

Dear all

Forgive a non-scientist for making a perhaps rather naive observation, but
are we in danger of ignoring the short term problems and focusing too much
on the long term? While I don't doubt that ocean acidification will have an
impact on coral reefs over the long term (20-50 years), I suggest that maybe
it is a bit of a red herring in the face of impacts that are affecting reefs
on a short term basis (next 5 years), and thereby the communities that need
healthy coral reefs today. A paper written about the impact of fish bombing
on reefs around Sabah, East Malaysia, back in the late 90's calculated that
(at the then current rate of incidence) fish bombing would destroy 130% of
Sabah's reefs by 2020 (the date at which Malaysia hopes to achieve developed
nation status). And since you can't actually destroy 130% of something, then
by implication by 2020 there won't be much left in the way of healthy reefs
in Sabah.

So if there won't be much reef left to be affected by ocean acidification,
which is a problem in the 20-50 year timescale, is it not logical that we
should spend at least some time focusing on the shorter term threats, like
fish bombing, as well as trying to address the longer term threats, like
acidification?

Regards

Julian Hyde
General Manager
Reef Check Malaysia Bhd
www.reefcheck.org.my
Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/rcmalaysia

"The bottom line of the Millenium Assessment findings is that human actions
are depleting Earth's natural capital, putting such strain on the
environment that the ability of the planet's ecosystems to sustain future
generations can no longer be taken for granted."