[Coral-List] Don't be such a scientist

Stephen Ban stephenban at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:22:02 EST 2012

Ulf,

Can you expand on why you think the climate/weather analogy is flawed in the
case of ocean acidification?

To wit, the diurnal temperature range for most locations (at least in a
terrestrial system) is going to be at least an order of magnitude larger (if
not two) than the decadal change in (global) temperature. Clearly, organisms
are able to deal with these large temperature changes, so does that imply
that we have nothing to worry about because temperatures are climbing at
"only" 0.1C per decade?

Stephen Ban
Ph.D. Candidate
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University
Townsville, QLD

Erlingsson