[Coral-List] Director of Harvard University Center of Environment to give lecture in Aruba

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 11:17:14 EST 2012

Dear listers, weighing in on the Science Issue, below find the announcement we got for a local lecture to be held in Aruba by HUCE Director Schrag.

I am offering to ask on behalf of US organizations two, and no more than two questions dealing directly with (1) science systems assessment of the US Federal Government, with a special take on good vs bad science, and (2) the current state of science in the context of increasing budget costs and the impact of these on programs for environmental and biological sciences as they relate to marine ecosystems.

Please send suggestions. We will have the local English press pick up on this.

The announcement we got  is listed below

The University of Aruba in collaboration with
Harvard University Center for the Environment (HUCE)
Invite you to the following presentation
Confronting the Climate-Energy Challenge
Speaker:
Professor Daniel P. Schrag is the Sturgis Hooper Professor of Geology at Harvard University, Professor of
Environmental Science and Engineering, and Director of the Harvard University Center for the Environment.
The Harvard University Center for the Environment (HUCE) encourages research and education about the
environment and its many interactions with human society. The most pressing problems facing our natural
environment are complex, often requiring collaborative investigation by scholars versed in different
disciplines. By connecting scholars and practitioners from different disciplines, the Center for the Environment
seeks to raise the quality of environmental research at Harvard and beyond.
Dr. Schrag studies climate and climate change over the broadest range of Earth history. He is particularly
interested in how information on climate change from the geologic past can lead to better understanding of
anthropogenic climate change in the future. In addition to his work on geochemistry and climatology, Schrag
studies energy technology and policy, including carbon capture and storage and low-carbon synthetic fuels.
Dr. Schrag currently serves on President Obama's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology. Among
various honors, he is the recipient of the James B. Macelwane Medal from the American Geophysical Union
and a MacArthur Fellowship. Schrag earned a B.S. in geology and geophysics and political science from Yale
University and his Ph.D. in geology from the University of California at Berkeley.