[Coral-List] Observed recovery of Acropora cervicornis populations in the Caribbean?

Brittany Huntington brittanyhuntington at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 12:53:34 EST 2012

Coral-listers:

I posted along the same vein over a year ago regarding the prospect of
locating recovering populations of *Acropora cervicornis* in the
Caribbean.  Now finally getting the opportunity to move on this research
initiative...

As a component of my post-doctoral research with Dr. Margaret Miller at
NOAA in Miami, we are interested in tracking the population dynamics of
naturally expanding/recovering A. cervicornis populations in the larger
Caribbean.  Our ultimate goal is to inform restoration efforts using
nursery-reared colonies of this species to mimic naturally recovering
populations.

The challenge is to expand our site list of true locations where new
colonies are establishing and persisting (i.e. young colonies, sexually or
asexually established, that are increasing in number and size without the
aid of coral restoration techniques) --not older remnant colonies still
'holding on'.

If you are aware of a local population that is achieving decent cover
of *Acropora
cervicornis*, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance for the leads,

Brittany Huntington, PhD