[Coral-List] Is this normal in Favia fragum?

Tom Lo tolope at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 12:13:13 EST 2012

Dear coral-listers!

Since last year, during our monitoring surveys of the coral reefs in the
Colombian Caribbean, we have been detecting in different places a lot of
colonies of the golfball coral *Favia fragum* with purple or wine-colored
patches, some times apparently associated with a bleaching process and
partial death. I'm not sure if this is a disease (it could slightly
resemble to a dark spot disease) or some kind of normal phenomenon in this
species.

Does anyone have also seen this condition in *Favia fragum*? I would be
glad to share some pictures ore more detailed information if needed.

Thanks!

Tomás
--
Tomás López Londoño
Sistema Nacional de Arrecifes Coralinos en Colombia SIMAC