[Coral-List] 82 corals being considered for Endangered Species Act protection--what would protection mean?

DeeVon Quirolo dquirolo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:54:07 EDT 2012

Thanks for your good work to protect corals!

All the best, DeeVon

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM, Shaye Wolf
<swolf at biologicaldiversity.org>wrote:

> We have been following the discussions about the 82 coral species that are
> being considered for protection under the US Endangered Species Act. Based
> on the questions that have been raised, we posted a factsheet on what
> Endangered Species Act protection would mean for these corals. This sheet
> addresses questions on why the Center for Biological Diversity petitioned
> NMFS to protect 83 corals under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), how we
> chose these 83 corals, the protections that the ESA can provide to listed
> corals, how the ESA helps endangered species including threatened elkhorn
> and staghorn corals in the Caribbean, how ESA protection would affect
> research activities, and how you can comment on the NMFS Status Review for
> the 82 candidate corals.
>

> The factsheet, the Center's petition, and other information on our coral
> conservation efforts are here:
>

> <
> http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/coral_conservation/index.html
> >
> http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/coral_conservation/index.html
>

> http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/coral_conservation/pdfs/Fact_Sh
> eet_Coral_ESA_Listing_v4.pdf
>

> We provided a summary of the main points of the factsheet below, but please
> see the factsheet for more information.
>

> Thanks for your interest in this topic! Many of you have important
> information on the status and threats to the 82 candidate corals.
> Submitting
> this information to NMFS during the current comment period would be helpful
> to the status review team and this process.
>

> Shaye Wolf, Ph.D.
>
> Climate Science Director
>
> Center for Biological Diversity
>
> swolf at biologicaldiversity.org
>

> Miyoko Sakashita
>
> Oceans Program Director
>
> Center for Biological Diversity
>
> miyiko at biologicaldiversity.org
>

> Why did the Center for Biological Diversity petition NMFS to protect 83
> corals under the Endangered Species Act, and how did the Center select
> these
> corals?
>

> Corals face severe, ongoing threats ranging from habitat destruction,
> pollution, overharvest, and disease-and now ever-increasing ocean warming
> and ocean acidification. Endangered Species Act (ESA) protection provides a
> set of strong conservation tools that complement and add to existing
> management tools for corals, which will help corals better survive and
> recover. That is why, in 2009, the Center submitted a 198-page scientific
> petition to NMFS requesting ESA protection for 83 corals. We chose corals
> that occur in US waters (and thus can benefit most from ESA protection),
> with estimated population declines of 30% or greater over 30 years
> according
> to the IUCN.
>

> What benefits can ESA protection provide to these corals?

> [...]

DeeVon Quirolo

www.reefrelieffounders.com

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

We can do no great things; only small things with great love.
Mother Theresa

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics
whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can
dream of things that never were.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy