[Coral-List] Vessel grounding stabilization and coral relocation

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Wed Jul 11 17:01:38 EDT 2012

Thaddeus;
A good place to begin reviewing techniques used for re-stabilization of shattered coral reef substrate would be "Coral Reef Restoration Handbook" edited by W. Precht.    A primary factor governing your choice of methods will be the wave and current energy regime of your specific site.  As you appear knowledgeable in the biological side of the design equation, I suggest you contact a coastal engineer with experience in wave energy and stability calculations before making too much progress along any particular design path..

Bob Bourke
Environmental Scientist
Oceanit

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of thaddeus nicholls
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:45 AM
To: coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov
Subject: [Coral-List] Vessel grounding stabilization and coral relocation

Greetings Coral Listers,
I have been presented with a project that involves restabilization of rubble and coral head (up to 1m dia) relocation after a vessel grounding.  My personal coral reef experience has been primarily associated with ecosystem health and monitoring rather than rubble stabilization and coral head relocation, and was hoping that some of you could point me in the direction of some good literature/references/methods for performing such tasks.  The work statement discusses using rebar and concrete for some of the work (which seem like reasonable methods), however I would like to review other alternative methods as well, if any.  Thanks for your time, hope to hear from some of you soon.

Thaddeus Nicholls